London dating sites in uk
There is still an open area which can be seen from 38 Scrutton Street, although the rest of the site has now been built over.
The picture below is of Holywell Mount in 1665 and comes with the enscription During the Great Plague, the church of St Dunstan's donated a large amount of its lands for interring those who succumbed to the outbreak.
Instead, to construct the map below we have had to use a variety of sources including Peter Ackroyd’s the internet, as well as help from our social media channels!
What is certain is that Houndsditch was once used to dispose of dead dogs during Roman times, hence its name.
The majority of these sites were originally in the grounds of churches, but as the body count grew and the graveyards became overcharged with dead, then dedicated pits were hastily constructed around the fields surrounding London.
Unfortunately there is very little evidence about the exact location of these plague pits.
As its name suggests, this area was once home to a pest-house where infected or sick people would have been taken to be quarantined and studied.
Although first built in 1593, the pest-house played a vital role in attempting to quarantine the outbreak in 1665.